Koalas and Kookaburras Sit

One of the activities that our native Koalas and Kookaburras are most often seen doing is sitting. Visitors to zoos are often excited  to see the cuddly looking koalas but disappointed to find that they just sit, often with their backs to the visitors, and sleep. This sleepiness is due to their diet of Eucalyptus leaves. Kookaburras sit too. They often sit alone high on electic wires or a tree branch waiting to catch a glimpse of movement as a delicious snack comes into view. They then swoop and grab their prey before going back to sit and wait. Catherine  of 5PL drew and then painted a kookaburra on some fabric before adding it to a plain cushion. Ashvini of 5AA made two koala puppets, named them Lucas and Lucy and set up a tree where they can sit. Perhaps you can think of another conversation they could have as they sit. Congratulations to both students upon making these great Australian characters.

13 thoughts on “Koalas and Kookaburras Sit

1. Thank you Mrs Osborn for putting my pillow onto the blog.I really am happy with it and I hope that people from around the world like it too!!!!!!!THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH

2. Hello Catherine,
    Congratulations Catherine. Yes your cushion is out there on the World stage. Perhaps it will be the start of a series like Sidney Nolan’s Ned Kelly Series. Well done to you and a special Thank You for checking out the Blog. There are now millions of Blogs out there and many are by artists. Maybe we could make a list.
    Very Best Wishes from Mrs Osborn.

3. Thank you Emma for commenting on your sister’s Kookaburra cushion/pillow.She has given it a great character. Both you and Catherine are very talented at your Art work and are to be congratulated on all your hard work and excellent help in the Art Room.
    Very Best Wishes from Mrs Osborn.

4. It was my pleasure to post the photo of your work Catherine. I just hope we’ll get some comments from people in other countries now. It can take a while but I think we might get some surprises soon. Very Best Wishes from Mrs Osborn.

5. I love the pillow! It’s so adorable!I like how you painted it and put the sun shining on the kookaburra. Wonderful job Catherine.

6. Hello Christine,
    Thank you for your Blog comment. I’m sure that Catherine will be pleased that you have taken the time to comment on her Kookaburra cushion.She worked hard to get the colours right.
    I look forward to seeing your finished work.
    Best Wishes,
    Mrs Osborn.

7. That kookaburra on the pillow has been really well painted! Great work!
    Those koalas sitting in the tree are also very cute!

From, Jennifer. N -6JS

8. Hello. This is Charlotte and Isabelle Grech from St John Boscos Primary School Nidrrie. We are Catherine(in 5pl)and Emma Grech’s cousins.We love the idea of the pillow.Catherine it is very creative and unique just as you are.
    The koalas sitting in the tree are also well done.

From, Charlotte and Isabelle Grech

9. Hello Charlotte and Isabelle,
    Thank you so much for your Blog Comment. It was a great surprise and very well written. I think you must be good students and must have a great learning environment at St John Boscos PS, Niddrie. Thank you for your comments about Catherine’s cushion.She and her sister are very creative, most helpful and hard workers. I will show her Class tomorrow when we return to school.
    Best Wishes for Term 4,
    Yvonne Osborn, Visual Arts Teacher at Taylors Lakes Primary School.