Wool Becomes Sheepish

Our Grade One and Two students have been looking at wool. From raw wool, which they thought smelled terrible, to soft, washed and colourfully dyed Merino wool tops, we explored, looked and played. When we began to create a ball we found that the wool stuck together naturally. But, to make it stronger, we wound and tied it with lots of threads before adding  a smaller ball for the head then sticks for legs, joggle eyes and felt ears. Finally very individual sheep appeared and today they went home with the children to greener pastures. This is Alexander’s sheep who, through the power of the Internet, is  now setting out to travel around the World.

9 thoughts on “Wool Becomes Sheepish

1. That’s a VERY cute sheep that you have made Alexander!! It’s great how the wool can stick together and not fall apart! Amazing work. Keep it up!
    – Jennifer Nguyen

2. Wow guys, keep it up. I reckon you’re doing a better job than Year 7’s. See you soon. Keep up the good work.

3. Thank you for your Blog Comment Polly. I will show the Grade Ones next Thursday. They are hard workers and have enjoyed making creatures from Wool. You might like to try their Wool Quiz on one of the new Grade 1 Pages. I made it using Quiz Revolution.
    Many Thanks again for your comment. I will add your name to the Comment Competition.
    Best Wishes from Mrs Osborn.

4. The grade one and two students are great workers and very creative. They were also very interested in my shearing photos and Wool Quiz. Tomorrow I hope to travel back to the farm to take some more photos and video of the shearing.