Hessian? or Burlap? It’s jute fabric and it’s great to create.

For reasons unknown this interesting fabric is called different names in  the USA and Australia. Today’s photos are of work done by teachers a Threads and Textiles Art Workshop which I ran in Melbourne.

My daughter made the same scarecrow in Grade 4 and it lasted several years guarding the rhubarb in a pot on our patio. The  cat-like creature was made by an adult  because I think a child would have given it more legs. This is a great activity to use up scraps from the scarecrows.

4 thoughts on “Hessian? or Burlap? It’s jute fabric and it’s great to create.

1. Hi Guys,

I am so glad that I have found your blog. I love the ideas you have on here! I started a Virtual Gallery for my class of Special School kids last year. I’ve been looking for a great Art blog for the kids to get ideas from and post comments for. Have a great first term. Will check in soon when the kids are back at school.

2. Thanks for sharing your blog with me. You have alot ofguest artists come in. Do you set those up yourself? That is great for the kids to see others in art. I LOVE the mosaics what a fun project. Your blog looks great . I had fun going through the posts.
    Thanks for your kind comments.

3. What a great blog you have here! I will certainly be directing our Art teacher to it. Thanks for all the great ideas and the inspiration- maybe our art teacher will take a leaf out of your book and start one herself.